Money, at its simplest, is nothing but a tool we use to obtain the goods or services that we need. It is exchanged throughout the world, in one form or another.
But, in reality, we see money or the lack of it as a measurement of our worth. Our financial situation seems to magnify all that we don’t particularly like about ourselves: weaknesses, fears and worries, shattered dreams, wrong turns in life. We measure our success by the size of our bank account or the amount of material goods we possess.
If our financial picture doesn’t support the image we wish to present to the world or we’re not where we want to be, we grow dissatisfied with our lives. From dissatisfaction grows frustration, and the way we view ourselves, the life we have and the world we live in is corrupted.
Availability of strategies and programs to change the look of your finances is limitless. There are literally hundreds of books and CD’s in any book store. But before any long-term change happens, you must first achieve peace with your financial situation in its current state, right where you are now. It is impossible to obtain positive change while operating in a negative mindset. Nothing in your life will permanently change until you change your way of thinking.
Here are some tips for making peace with your financial situation:
Remember Every Thing is Subject to Change
Every situation in your life is temporary, whether good or bad. Change is a permanent part of life. So, whatever you are going through right now, I promise it will be different sooner or later. Chose to see the temporary nature of your financial situation and view it as an opportunity. We can chose to grow and learn even in tough situations. Realizing that everything has an end will help you achieve peace with your financial situation.
- Take some time to think about where you were in your life a year ago. Chances are there has been major progress and change that you can really see and measure. Growth, learning and strengths that you may not have been aware you possessed will come to light.
- Change happens, whether we want it or not. Chose to look at it in a positive light and embrace it rather than fight it. Changing your perspective can make a massive difference in your attitude.
Count Your Blessings
There are countless benefits to developing an attitude of gratitude and thankfulness. Energy levels and general health improve as you experience less stress and more positive thinking. Seeing abundance rather than lack moves you to a place to expect and receive more good things in your life. Being thankful where you are will help you make peace with your financial situation.
- Make a list of everything you already have in your life. When your thoughts begin to take a negative turn, look at the list. You will begin to notice changes and shifts in your thoughts and your actions. When your actions change, your reality changes.
- Look beyond material items to discover abundance in your life. Living in a city with a library or museum, for instance. Think of things like friends, good health or hot showers. For many people, these items are luxuries.
Cherish the Clarity You Have Gained
Times of financial difficulty are not easy, but they do carry a lot of lessons. Those lessons become moments of clarity or realization that result in permanently changed thoughts or behaviors. Financially, you may not see an immediate benefit, but those moments can become the catalyst for a different financial future, allowing you to achieve peace with your financial situation.
- Journal these times of realization and the actions you’ve taken as a result. When you read through it at a later time, you will be able to expand on the positive results you’ve achieved.
- Even if you’ve made the same mistake over and over, appreciate the lessons learned each time. When you view the past in that light, you will begin to unearth nuggets of wisdom and make peace with your financial situation.
It’s In Your Control
When our situation looks bleak, we often feel powerless. When we feel powerless, we don’t see a way out of the situation we’re currently in. To achieve peace with your financial situation,take your power back. It has been said that there are only two choices: we can accept conditions or we can take responsibility and change them.
- Every decision you made has created where you are. The power is yours, it’s in your control. To transform your financial future, resolve to make different decisions.
- Accept the bad decisions you’ve made. When you accept responsibility for where you are right now, you are making the proclamation that the control and power is yours. This empowers you to effect real change and create a brighter future.